Growing an avocado tree is super easy and very rewarding. Avocado is one of the delicious fruits of summer, high in nutrition and flavor. It’s surprisingly fun to grow avocado tree from seed, and it makes a great educational project for home and classrooms. Growing your own avocado tree from seed is easy, especially when it’s on its early stage, cut a ripe avocado to get the seed and push four toothpicks to hold it over the water and wait for its sprouts coming out. It can be a perfect indoor plant for home decoration on windowsill or home office.
Image: 9 Gag
- Take the avocado and cut into 2 halves. Scoop out the fruit and enjoy as usual, remove the seed from the center, wash with fresh water and ensure there is no fruit on it. Dry the seed fully as a wet seed might get slippery and become hard to use.
- Push toothpicks inside the seed from four sides into the middle. After pricking the toothpicks into the seed, place in a glass full of water so that the pointed end of the seed points upward while the round part is immersed in the water by an inch.
- Keep the glass in a warm place away from direct sunlight. Leave for 4-6 weeks, monitor regularly to see if water needs to be added. The seed will sprout a stem and roots. Once the stem is 6 inches long, cut it to 3 inches. The stem will again start to grow and will grow leaves.
- Remove the seed from the glass to a large pot, 3 feet wide and 3 feet deep. Add rich fertile soil to the pot and plant the seed. The root of the seed should be pushed inside the soil about 1-3 inches. The top half of the seed should remain outside the pot.
- Place the pot where it can get good sunlight, air, and water. The soil should remain moist but not saturated. Use a pot with good drainage. Keeping the pot out in your garden is a good idea. Pinch the top leaves of the plant every time the stem length increases by 6 inches. Doing so encourages growth of the pant.
- Start planting in the Spring. If you do not have a garden, daily take your plant outside for sunlight and fresh air. Now is the time for patience. Usually it takes 7-15 years for the avocado tree to yield fruit.
How to Grow Avocado Tree from Seed Video :